Local news was relatively rare in the first decade of publication and it was published irregularly from 1690 until 1709, the period following the deposing of James II (& VII) after the Glorious Revolution of 1688 which had seen the beginning of a free press in this country.
Dowty, Worcester) Sec.-Lieut R S Jones, Evesham, Killed Lt F Joseland, Worcester, Killed Lt Butcher, Kempsey, Killed Sec Lt L R Bomford, Evesham, Gassed Lt G R Day, Malvern Link, Killed (Photo.
Dowty, Worcester) Perhaps you know of them and can share some more details.
Harvey Berrow carried on the Journal until his death on August 16, 1776, when his eldest son, also Harvey Berrow, continued the publication until his death in the following year, on June 11, 1777.
The newspaper was succeeded by his sister, Elizabeth Berrow, whose name appeared upon the Journal until December 23, 1779 after which her name is superseded by that of John Tymbs, to whom she was married on September 23, 1779. In 1990, the newspaper celebrated its Tercentenary (1690-1990) and specially commissioned china was produced by Royal Worcester Porcelain, at its nearby city factory, to mark the historic occasion.
Throughout the First World War the Berrows Worcester Journal printed a Saturday pictorial - the pictures normally referring to stories that had appeared in the separate main paper, which did not contain photographs at that time.
Presumably the production system in 1914 meant it was easier to keep text and pictures apart.
Although the Berrow family have long ceased to have any connection with the paper, their name has perpetuated and the paper continues to be published weekly.
Alongside free doorstep delivery, the newspaper is accessible as a free and unsubscribed online edition.
In fact the cruiser Monmouth had been sunk with the loss of all hands on November 1, 1914, at the Battle of Coronel, which gives an insight into the time lag between action and the news being reported at home. The second group of six pictures comes from September 1916.
The captions in the Berrows Journal of that time simply read (from left): Capt H King, Worcester, Killed (Photo.
In April 1748, Bryan sold the paper to Harvey Berrow who changed its name to The Worcester Journal and its publication day to Thursday.