The boundaries of the original city were Douglas Avenue to the north, Wood and Regent streets to the east, Mount Hope Avenue to the south, and Jenison Avenue to the west. Lansing began to grow steadily over the next two decades with the completion of the railroads through the city, a plank road, and the completion of the current capitol building in 1878.
Most of what is known as Lansing today is the result of the city becoming an industrial powerhouse which began with the founding of Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August 1897.
When announced, many present openly laughed that such an insignificant settlement was now Michigan's capital. Greenly signed into law the act of the legislature making Lansing Township the state capital.
With the announcement that Lansing Township had been made the capital, the small village quickly transformed into the seat of state government.
There was also concern with Detroit's strong influence over Michigan politics, being the state's largest city as well as the capital city.
Unable to publicly reach a consensus because of constant political wrangling, the Michigan House of Representatives privately chose the Township of Lansing out of frustration.
The company went through many changes, including a buyout, between its founding to 1905 when founder Ransom E.
Olds started his new REO Motor Car Company, which would last in Lansing for another 70 years.
Many in the group too disappointed to stay ended up settling around what is now metropolitan Lansing.
Those who stayed quickly renamed the area "Lansing Township" in honor of their home village in New York.
The first agreement consisted of the temporary transfer of 1,888.2 acres of Lansing Capital Region International Airport to the city from De Witt Township in 2011.
The second agreement consisted of the temporary transfer of 41 acres (17 ha) in Alaiedon Township for the expansion of the headquarters of Jackson National Life Insurance Company in 2013 bringing the area either fully or conditionally under control of the city to 39.69 square miles (102.80 km Under Michigan law, 425 Agreements are only temporary land sharing agreements, and do not count as official annexations.
They told the New Yorkers this new "city" had an area of 65 blocks, a church and a public and academic square.