The Ringgold Gap Battlefield was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
was a series of maneuvers and battles in October and November 1863, during the American Civil War. After opening a supply line (the "Cracker Line") to feed his starving men and animals, Grant's army fought off a Confederate counterattack at the Battle of Wauhatchie on October 28–29, 1863.
Hoping to distract Bragg's attention, Grant ordered Thomas's army to advance in the center of his line to the base of Missionary Ridge.
On November 24, Sherman's men crossed the Tennessee River in the morning and then advanced to occupy high ground at the northern end of Missionary Ridge in the afternoon. The next day they began a movement toward Bragg's left flank at Rossville.On November 25, Sherman's attack on Bragg's right flank made little progress.A monument to soldiers from New York who sustained heavy casualties stands near Tiger Creek at the Ringgold Water Treatment Plant, while a monument in honor of Major General Patrick Cleburne and his men is located in the park.The nearby Western and Atlantic Depot still shows scars from the damage it received from artillery fire during the battle.Bragg achieved a major victory when a gap was opened mistakenly in the Union line and a strong assaulting force commanded by Lt. James Longstreet drove through it and routed a good portion of the Union army. The Union forces took advantage of previous Confederate works to erect strong defensive positions in a tight, 3-mile-long semicircle around the city. He could outflank Rosecrans by crossing the Tennessee either below or above the city, assault the Union force directly in their fortifications, or starve the Federals by establishing a siege line.
The flanking option was deemed to be impracticable because Bragg's army was short on ammunition, they had no pontoons for river crossing, and Longstreet's corps from Virginia had arrived at Chickamauga without wagons.
John Geary's XII Corps division was the next to arrive; one brigade again attacked the Confederate right while another regiment attacked the gap but both attacks were routed.
Charles Cruft's IV Corps division was sent to attack Cleburne's left flank but was defeated.
While Cleburne expressed doubt he could defend the gap adequately with his single division, Bragg refused to send any further troops to assist Cleburne.
Cleburne deployed his men at the gap before dawn of November 27; Colonel Hiram Granbury's brigade was placed to the right of the gap, while the left was defended by the 16th Alabama Infantry. Grant, had ordered a pursuit of the retreating Confederate army on the morning of November 26, but confusion over the orders prevented the Union forces from getting an early start.
The remainder of the division was deployed in the gap itself as a reserve. The Confederate rear guard had burned the bridges over South Chickamauga Creek, which further delayed the Union forces.